[Koha] changing from tarball installation to packages installation.

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 23 04:37:01 NZDT 2012

Greetings,

> I installed with a tarball. I would like to use the packages. Is there a
> simple way to change from tarball installation to packages installation?

Yes, there is. :)
I haven't done this before, but there is a wiki page:
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Moving_an_installation_from_a_regular_install_to_the_Debian_packages

What I did was:

1) backup my DB (for example -- make sure to change the dbuser and dbname
parts):
$ mysqldump -u <dbuser> -p <dbname> > mybackup.sql

2) a fresh install of the OS and the packages install up to and including
the koha-create.

3) put my old db in place (for example -- make sure to change the
instancename part):
$ sudo koha-mysql <instancename> < mybackup.sql

4) Then I continued the packages installation. The web install step did the
database scheme upgrades.

Granted, this is much easier when going from 3.4 or higher to current stable
(3.8.x). Prior to 3.4.x, there would be a couple more commands to do.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett