[Koha] Amazon API Changes (again)

BWS Johnson abesottedphoenix at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 17 14:26:09 NZDT 2012

Salvete!

>>  That's what I thought -  that the images weren't coming from the
> API ...
>>  but wanted to check.  Owen might know best since he made most of these
>>  changes.
>
> Confirmed. Cover images don't go through the API, so changes to the
> API don't affect them.
>
> HOWEVER: I question whether Koha libraries are within Amazon's terms
> of service in using Amazon cover images. I think this is a legal grey
> area, where Koha's use may be technically a violation of those terms
> but a violation which Amazon has never responded to.
>
> http://bibwild.wordpress.com/2008/03/19/think-you-can-use-amazon-api-for-library-service-book-covers/

    Yeah, I've to say this has crept up at some of the deadly boring IP stuff I go to. It sure seems like it's still a very dirty pen. If you've not taken a look lately, cruise on by Open Library, cause their covers are definitely progressing along nicely. Also, George won't sue your arse.* (*Well, she might, but prolly not for the reasons Amazon would.**[** I assume you deserved it ifn she did.])

Cheers,
Brooke