[Koha] Use of Google Analytics and +1 on Koha website

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Tue May 29 02:15:15 NZST 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Mirko <5p4m at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello David.
>
> David Nind wrote:
>
> […]
>

> > I would not classify it as 'spyware', no more so than any other cookies
> set
> > by websites.
> >
> > What information does Google Analytics collect? Google Analytics is
> > implemented through a cookie which is placed on the visitor's
> > computer along with code in the webpage which collects visitor data and
> > relays it to Google's servers for processing. It generally collects:
> >
> >    -     IP addresses
> >    -     Geographical location of the IP address
> >    -     Pages visited
> >    -     How the visitor arrived at the webpage
> >    -     Computer information, such as the operating system, screen size,
> >    browser browser being used.
>

> Together with the data collected on all other Google-"enhanced"
> websites (embedding Google analytics, Google+1, Google ads,
> googleapis, Youtube clips etc.) and the data generated by
> "standalone" enduser products like all flavours of Google search,
> Google Maps/ Streetview, Gmail, Google+, Google checkout, Youtube,
> Blogger.com, Android and all the other things Google does, this data
> may represent, depending on your online behaviour, your complete
> life on the internet and even more.

This is a very valid concern. Given enough data about an individual, it is
possible to use data-crunching software to prognosticate the said
individual's future actions with a very high level of probability. We are,
after all, creatures of habit. This is no small concern and extends well
beyond Google. The aggregate of data collected on a given individual today
is tremendous. A large part of it is collected with no further consent of
the individual than the simple choice of the individual to use technology.

> While I can understand that people may find the term spyware harsh,
> from my point of view it is not inappropriate. Google watches a lot
> of things we do on the internet and I am not comfortable with that.

Spyware is not too harsh imho. It is probably not strong enough if the raw
truth were known.

> It's not only Google of course, I am very concerned with how much
> things are outsourced to third parties nowadays, giving them access
> to user data and power over our own websites, blogs etc.
> It sure makes things easier for webmasters, gives them new tools,
> reduces bandwidth and so on, but it is done on the cost of the
> user's privacy.

Exactly. Nothing is free. You always pay for it somehow. In many cases
today, you trade your personal information for ease and convenience. it's
still true: If you are going to dance, you will have to pay the fiddler. At
least be sure that you preserve the right to choose whether or not you
dance.

Kind Regards,
Chris