[Koha] Multi-Lingual SQL & User Defined Parameters

Karam Qubsi karamqubsi at gmail.com
Thu May 17 00:15:53 NZST 2012

Hi
Dear Mr Massoud ,
Dear all,

I think this will be very helpful for the people who don't want to use
the English interface in Koha , and as you say when we finish
translating koha 3.8 to Arabic ( very soon inshaallah) ,
we will have  problems with the people who want to use koha in Arabic
and english in the same time
e.g:
May be some Arab librarian prefer to use koha English interface for
the staff client  , and in the case that  we've used the translated
sql files (that your company provided it to us) for the marc21 the
Arab librarian who want to use the English interface will have a
problem because all the staff client will be in english except for the
marc records

and if we use the English version of the marc21 sql files the problem
will be that the Arab librarian who will use the Arabic interface will
see the marc fields in english

so if we want to use arabic interface we have to use arabic sql files for marc

is it possible to make something like armarc as we have normarc in the
SQL structure ?!

it's not a standard we don't really have 'armarc' and it is not a
solution so the library chose its Marc flavor and all the librarian in
that library will be forced to use this armarc , but will help to make
the installation of the translated Arabic marc more easier

and for the preferences description is included in the po files but
the preferences still in English (the main term )

maybe the best solution is to make all the strings in koha included in
the po files I don't have deep technical background but this will be
more flexible for koha users all over the world for other languages
not only for the Arabic language

wish you will be able to do that for all the koha community :)

 thanks a lot for you Mr Massoud

and thanks you all in Koha community for helping us :D

Karam Qubsi
Koha Arab Translating Team
http://koha.wikibrary.org/
Wikibrary for Arab Librarians