[Koha] [Koha-devel] Branch Specific System Preferences

Ian Walls koha.sekjal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 06:25:58 NZDT 2012

Chris,

I've been meaning to write a Contextual Preferences Engine for Koha for a
while now, to solve the problems we have with the Circ Matrix, as well as
with global sysprefs that should really be more configurable.

The idea is that it will be a DB table with 5 main columns:  Branch, Patron
Category, Item Type, Key and Value.  Any of the first 3 can be a specific
value or "default".  If a contextual preference doesn't make sense to
factor in one of the 3 values, it'll be ignored.

This, along with a rewritten editor and rules tester tool, would solve a
bunch of our customizability problems in one go, without necessarily
introducing too much complexity for users (provided we make a good
interface).

I hope to have a patch for this started after 3.8 releases (and all our DB
revs are stable for a while).  Any help would be welcomed.

-Ian