[Koha] Kohacon 12 - Invitation letter

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Mar 21 00:39:41 NZDT 2012

Bob Birchall <bob at calyx.net.au>
> On 16/03/12 23:08, Olugbenga Adara wrote:
> >  Is it possible for the conference organizers to do something about this?
>
> There is an application form for just such a letter at:
> http://koha-community.org/kohacon12/visa-info/

Thanks Bob for publicising that.  To emphasise three points it says on
that page:

1. the top reason for visa rejection is when the border guards do not
believe that you will return home at the end of your visit.  So
showing continuing economic and family ties to your homeland may help.

2. the UK is an island in more ways than one: it is not part of the
Schengen travel/borders zone which covers part of the EU, so you may
need to obtain transit or other visas for any intermediate stops on
your journey, even just to change planes.  I think this messed up
some visits to Kohacon 10.

3. we will be sending invitation letters out in batches.

And one more tip it doesn't (and IMO shouldn't) say on that page:

Please put in the "other details" box if you are listed in the Koha
source code, on the koha-community.org sites like the wiki or bug
tracker, and/or if you are proposing to speak to the conference (the
call for papers will appear soon, but do not let that stop visa
applicants proposing talks with their invitation request now), so that
we can mention that in the invitation letter and maybe strengthen it
for long-time contributors.

Thanks,