[Koha] Windows or browser failure on certain Koha functions

Steve Campbell stephen.t.campbell at Dartmouth.EDU
Mon Mar 12 06:16:20 NZDT 2012

Our small public library is learning Koha on a test system hosted by Bywater. We will go live in June. Although almost all Koha functions - staff and OPAC - work fine for us, we have found two staff functions that consistently fail on two of our computers but not on the others. So far we have not been able to identify the cause.

The details are:

Koha version 3.06.02.000
Host: Linux

The two computers where functions fail:
Hardware: IBM Think Centre and Lenovo Think Centre (both 4+ years old)
OS: WIndows XP SP 3 up to date on patches
Browsers: Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox 10 (current)
Java: 6 Update 31 (current)

The Koha functions that fail (that we've found so far) are changing the overdue actions and triggers (Home -> Tools -> Notice Triggers) and adding or editing an item record (Home -> Cataloging -> Edit <record info> -> Items).

Failure mode: The Koha pages are rendered normally and all the blanks and buttons and drop downs on the pages function normally. Failure comes when you hit the Submit button (triggers) or Add Item button (item editing). The browsers' connection to the host times out after about 15 seconds. This results in errors such as "Server reset the connection," "Error 500," or simply a completely white browser window. You can use the browser Back button to return to the failed page and otherwise continue your session.

These functions fail most of the time, but occasionally one will succeed. They fail only on these two machines. They fail whether you are using IE or Firefox. A public XP computer (HP with AMD processor) with the same versions of XP and the browsers never fails; our Lenovo Windows 7 all-in-ones never fail. Our Macs never fail.

We have checked network connections, firewall settings, AV settings, software. Nothing we have tried cures the failures. If you know the answer or have any suggestions, we would be most grateful.

Steve Campbell
Trustee, Converse Free Library
Lyme, New Hampshire, US