[Koha] Need Barcode Wisdom

Gwyan Rhabyt gwyan.rhabyt at csueastbay.edu
Sun Mar 11 05:33:33 NZDT 2012

The new non-Follett scanner is USB; the Follett is some other format but
has an adapter to USB. The old Follett system wanted the barcodes to come
in as a T 3028 format, so it makes sense that this is what the Follett
scanner does. But it is frustrating that the new generic scanner does the
same.
The scan comes in as T 3032 in TextEdit, Excel, etc., so I'm confident that
it is a correct reading.

The difficulty is that the manual allows dozens of possible changes and it
is not clear which to use.  How can I find out what kind of barcode I am
dealing with? A web search tells me that Follett seems to use three
kinds: Codabar,
Code 39 (Code 3 of 9), or Interleaved 2 of 5 .They all look the same to me.
Is there any specific way to distinguish them? Should I be counting the
lines?

- Cheers,
Gwyan