[Koha] Fwd: [LIS-Forum] Mysore University Koha OPAC on Mobile

SANDEEP BHAVSAR sandeep.bhavsar at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 00:07:05 NZDT 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ishwar Goudar <goudarishwar at googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM
Subject: [LIS-Forum] Mysore University OPAC on Mobile
To: lis-forum at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in, francis at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in

Dear Professionals,

I am  happy inform you all that our University Library Web OPAC has gone the
* mobile way*.  We
have adopted open source library automation system KOHA for all our house
keeping activities
including OPAC and the same has been made available in cloud hosting
environment. Anybody
can access our  OPAC on *Mobile* at  site
http://mopac.mysore-univ.org/

To see what it looks like in a mobile phone, please use following site on
your desktop/laptop:
http://iphonetester.com/?url=http://mopac.mysore-univ.org/

Apple claims to have sold record number of Smart-phones smashing the the
record of PC sales.  The same has
been the fate with Laptops and notebooks.
(
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/smartphone-sales-exceed-those-of-pcs-for-first-time-apple-smashes-record/
)
Internet access through Mobile has become the order of the day.  This being
the case, I strongly feel that all of us
should go the mobile way for our OPACs.

Our patrons can use their mobile for reserving, renewing the documents and
all related activities.
We are working towards using Mobile SMSs for overdue reminders, informing
the availability of
reserved documents, documents purchased against requests, broadcasting
important library

The automation model we have adopted is *-*  Centralised database,
decentralised inputting/
housekeeping activities and Universal access to OPAC. Once completed the
OPAC will
have > 10 Lakh records of documents available in colleges, institutes, PG
Centres and various
departments, which are directly under the control of Mysore University.

We acknowledge OSS Labs, Bangalore for having  given quality, timely and
cost effective service to us
in this matter. Probably ours is the first university library to go mobile
way for OPAC (?).  Please have a
 look at it and give your feedback, enabling us to improve the service.

Regards,

Dr. I.R.N. Goudar
Visiting professor and Library Adviser
University of Mysore

believed to be clean.

Thanks and Regards

Sandeep Bhavsar
Librarian
Dr.V.N.Bedekar Institute of Management Studies
Thane(W) 400601
MUMBAI. INDIA
email    : sandeep.bhavsar at gmail.com
Mob     : 9029 345777