[Koha] Mysqldump and Ubuntu

David Nind david.nind at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 19:01:41 NZST 2012

Hi Clint.

Both ways of entering the mysqldump command are valid and should work (at
least they do on Debian, I don't have mysql installed on my Ubuntu desktop
so can't check).

If you type man mysqldump from the command line you will get a list of
options, which will also show the shortcut way to enter the same command
e.g. instead of --user=myuser you can just go -u myuser.  This is very
convenient if you need to run the command a lot.  Most people, and lots of
tutorials, tend to use the shortcut format.

For an even quicker way you don't have to enter the space between the
shortcut command and the value e.g. -u myuser can be entered as -umyuser

In addition, you don't need to end the filename you are saving the data to
with .sql, but a lot of people do to help identify what is in the file. You
can open these files with any text editor.

There are many good MySql tutorials on the web. A couple of good tutorials
from a quick search are:
- This one looks okay:
http://www.mysqltutorial.org/how-to-backup-database-using-mysqldump.aspx
- A good basic SQL general tutorial doesn't go astray either:
http://w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

David Nind | david.nind at gmail.com
PO Box 12367, Thorndon, Wellington, New Zealand 6144
h. +64 4 9720 600 | m. +64 21 0537 847 | w. +64 4 8906 098