[Koha] KohaMoble

glaws glawson at rhcl.org
Fri Jun 8 05:30:29 NZST 2012

http://www.skycasters.com/

Rolling Hills Library is attempting to raise funds to purchase a
bookmobile, which will use our existing Koha database with remote
(Internet) connections. We would also like to provide Internet access
via a couple of stations in the van if possible. All this depends on our
ability to raise the funds necessary to purchase the bookmobile, but we
hope to be able to do that early next spring (2013).

1. Is anyone using such a system currently with Koha? I would be
interested in learning from your experiences.

2. I'd like to document our process, from purchase to full usage, as a
"lessons learned" for everyone to benefit from. What things would you
like to know as I do this?

3. One of the methods of Internet access we will be looking at is
Skycaster (link above). Any comments or suggestions on this service? We
may also have a mobile wifi hotspot so local access can be provided to
users with their own devices.

Comment: I am a strong supporter of free, open-source software. It is my
intention to run everything in the bookmobile on Linux, probably Mint or
Ubuntu.  If I can sneak it in, I may try to get some promo lettering on
the van somewhere that says "We run Koha and Linux!", and maybe a
penguin and the Koha logo.

--
Greg Lawson
Network Administrator