[Koha] Issues with Serials

Haik Zargaryan haikzargaryan at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 2 06:12:41 NZST 2012

Dear community,

We are currently testing 3.06.04 to automate our library. Everything is still all right with one exception. Our catalog contains a large number of serial publications. The problem is that we are not sure how its MARC record should look like. With book everything is clear; you have a bibliographic record and holdings/items.

Yet, journals and newspapers appear to be somehow tricky. We have decided to use koha's "Serials" module for this purpose. So, we create a bibliographic record, assign the pattern of publications and the system starts to generate items for each Issue. But the problem is that each issue has several items for itself, and since we use Items as Issues, there is no way to assign additional Items to Issues. This may sound a little bit confusing, but those who have used the tool will understand. Is there any solution to this problem?

Or, do you have any experience of creating Serial/Newspaper records? Can you share some useful examples?

Regards,
Haik.