[Koha] Koha setup: using single for staff client and OPAC

Jim Maroon storypage at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 06:03:47 NZDT 2012

Excellent. But is it accessible then only via the intranet, or could we
access it from the Internet, as well? That is the real issue we are facing.
Sorry for my ignorance. I'm not much of a network guy.

Thank you!

--Jim

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Jared Camins-Esakov <
jcamins at cpbibliography.com> wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Yes, you can certainly run the intranet and OPAC on the same port. Just
> use virtual hosts in Apache.
>
> Regards,
> Jared
>
> 2012/1/9 Jim Maroon <storypage at gmail.com>
>
>> Hello, folks. I was wondering if I could get some advice.
>>
>> There is a controversy at our library about allowing outside access for
>> the staff client. Our network administrator (who will have nothing to do
>> with our Koha system) is concerned that opening a second port for the staff
>> client creates additional risks. We have since worked out a compromise, but
>> then I ran into the below link. In it, the author implies we don't need to
>> use two ports, as he is only suggesting using port 80. I'm assuming that is
>> for both staff and OPAC access from outside the firewall.
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> http://openlib.org/home/krichel/courses/lis9012/doc/koha_installation.html
>> ****
>>

>> Here is the relevant quote:
>>

>> "Also note we are using port 80 for both servers, I don't see a reason to
>> do otherwise.
>> Apache can run many different virtual servers. Normally, each server has
>> its own domain name."
>>
>> So, does this mean we could run both staff and OPAC on port 80? If so, I
>> think this would go a long way toward resolving this issue and answering
>> his security concerns.
>>
>> Thanks much in advance!
>>
>> --Jim Maroon

> Jared Camins-Esakov
> Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
> (phone) +1 (917) 727-3445
> (e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
> (web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/

"The man, who, by his own and his family's labour, can provide a
sufficiency of food and raiment and a comfortable dwelling place, is not a
poor man." --William Cobbett, *Cottage Economy*, 1826.