[Koha] Koha setup: using single for staff client and OPAC

Jim Maroon storypage at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 05:56:02 NZDT 2012

Hello, folks. I was wondering if I could get some advice.

There is a controversy at our library about allowing outside access for the
staff client. Our network administrator (who will have nothing to do with
our Koha system) is concerned that opening a second port for the staff
client creates additional risks. We have since worked out a compromise, but
then I ran into the below link. In it, the author implies we don't need to
use two ports, as he is only suggesting using port 80. I'm assuming that is
for both staff and OPAC access from outside the firewall.

** **

http://openlib.org/home/krichel/courses/lis9012/doc/koha_installation.html**
**

Here is the relevant quote:

"Also note we are using port 80 for both servers, I don't see a reason to
do otherwise.
Apache can run many different virtual servers. Normally, each server has
its own domain name."

So, does this mean we could run both staff and OPAC on port 80? If so, I
think this would go a long way toward resolving this issue and answering
his security concerns.

Thanks much in advance!

--Jim Maroon