[Koha] koha-circulation policies and patron restricions

satish lis4satish at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 18:17:48 NZDT 2012

Hello Agnes,

I am into the role of developing a library from the scratch and we are
using Koha 3.6.2.
Currently we identified, 3 types of students (patron category) as follows.
1. General Student 2. Student from SC Community 3. Student from ST
Community.
and item type comprises only Books.  The collection comprises in only one
location.
1. General Stack 2. SC Book Bank 3. ST Book Bank.
And check-out criteria is as follows.
1. SC student can borrow max of 2 books from SC Book Bank ( for 1 semester)
+ 1 Book from General Stack ( for 15 days)
2. ST Student can borrow max of 2 books from ST Book Bank ( for 1 semester)
+ 1 Book from General STack ( 15 days)
3. General Student can borrow max of only 2 books (15 days) from General
Stack, and no books are allowed for checking out from SC and ST Book bank .

To work around, so for I tried to create, 3 item types - namely:
1. Books ( Default with koha) 2. SC Book Bank 3. ST Book Bank
and with the help of circulation rules, (item type and patron category),
load period and current checkouts have been updated accordingly and I am
feeling so happy after doing this.

Am I going in the right direction?? any other alternatives??

Thank You in advance.
Satish
Govt. Engg. College, Hassan
Karnataka, India.