[Koha] Search operators

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Fri Dec 7 05:40:30 NZDT 2012

Hello.

As many of you know, I have been working on rewriting Koha's search code so
that it is more palatable than a plate of burned nine-day-old spaghetti.
The initial part of the development is nearing completion, and I look
forward to submitting a patch to the community for sign off[1].

In the course of the first section of the development, I have run into an
interesting question. We currently support greater than and less than
operators in our searches, but I cannot think of anywhere we might want to
use them other than with dates. Does anyone have any scenarios where a
greater than/less than operator would actually be useful in a bibliographic
or authority search (other than in date searches)?

Regards,
Jared

[1] If you're interested in seeing my work so far, the search rewrite
branch in my public repo has all the code:
http://git.cpbibliography.com/?p=koha.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/search_rewrite
The RFC is at http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/C_%26_P_Search_Rewrite_RFCand
I would still welcome any and all comments.

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/