[Koha] Links shelving locations to maps

Ian Walls koha.sekjal at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 03:26:44 NZDT 2012

So, what we're looking at here is a WALDO library, which is running one of
the LibLime forks.  The various features they're offering (Maps, Facelift
and Mobile) are all Javascript libraries that can be dropped into the OPAC
system preferences.  The most integration they do is to reference the
templates, but those have diverged from Koha as LL has followed it's own
development path.  Dropping these scripts into your Koha install is
entirely up to you (though the NC aspect of the CC license may prevent you
from doing so at your library; ask your lawyer), but they very likely will
not work well, if at all.  Anyone willing to try that experiment?

MJ brings up a good point; the work done by LL for their fork is legally
proprietary because they do not distribute it to other servers.  But since
this Javascript work by Univ. of Hartford builds on LL's work, and *is*
distributed, what does that imply?  Does Univ. of Hartford need LL's
permission to distribute this code?  Does distributing it mean that the
code it's based on (LL's fork) needs to be distributed, as well (and thus
made open)?  I don't think the GPL has a 'backwards' clause, but I'm no
legal scholar.

I think some of the confusion may be that this work is intended for other
WALDO libraries running the same LibLime fork, but it's being broadcast as
working for Koha.  The two are very different pieces of software (even
Marshall Breeding is now classifying them differently in lib-web-cats), but
certain interest groups are eternally trying to muddy the waters.

Could we do a similar implementation for Koha?  Sure!  And it would be
released GPL, so it's be compatible for reuse anywhere.  We just need to
find someone to do it (probably not me).

-Ian