[Koha] Fwd: Re: Barcode info and maybe SQL/MARCXML help needed

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Wed Aug 29 06:56:17 NZST 2012

[meant to send this to the list --gmc]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Koha] Barcode info and maybe SQL/MARCXML help needed
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 12:53:27 -0400
From: Galen Charlton <gmc at esilibrary.com>
To: Doug Dearden <dearden at sarsf.org>

Hi,

On 08/28/2012 12:09 PM, Doug Dearden wrote:
> 1.       If I fix the barcodes in the items table, will that do it?
> Or does Koha store them somewhere else?

That's almost enough -- the other place is in the Zebra indexes for
bibliographic searches on the Zebra barcode index.

> 2.       Even if Koha only uses the ones in the items table, any
> ideas how to fix my UpdateXML statement so it works? (Just to keep
> things matched up).

Rather than updating biblioitems.marcxml, a better approach would simply
be rebuild your Zebra index (or use touch_all_biblios.pl to tell Koha to
reindex just the bibs whose items you modified).

Unless you had changed your MARC frameworks to use the 852 field for
item data rather than the 952, if the 852s are from your previous
system, I'd suggest that you actually *delete* them.  A bib export from
Koha will include the item data in 952 fields if you need them for
record interchange or union catalog purposes, and getting rid of the
legacy 852s avoids the risk of confusing staff about the state of an
item record.

Regards,

Galen
--