[Koha] 3.8 Authorities - need help with see references

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue Aug 28 06:13:44 NZST 2012

First, I'd like to say I appreciate the finer grain control the new version
has as far as creating authorities goes.

But. . . and this is a problem I had in earlier versions as well - I still
can't get my see references to display properly.

When you search on the correct term the references to incorrect forms are
displayed.
for example:
Topical Term: World War, 1914-1918
used for/see from: WW I
used for/see from: World War I

But that's not very useful if someone is searching on the incorrect form.

In fact, if you search on the incorrect form in authorities it displays
what is intended as a see reference as if it were an authorized heading,
and does not list the reference to the authorized version.  I've resorted
to adding [Not Used] to the incorrect form 1XX field.

Example: Topical Term: WW I [Not Used]

You have to click on Details see what heading is authorized, and then it
displays in tiny type above the authority record, with no explanation.
Here's the 260 for this heading:
260 ## - COMPLEX SEE REFERENCE--SUBJECT
  a Heading referred to World War, 1914-1918

  5 Institution code UKLoVW

Note: I have entered a $0 with the record number for the correct heading,
set it to display in the MARC framework, but it still doesn't display
unless you are actually editing the authority record.

I have gotten lost in the maze of MARC format for authorities and don't
know which way is up anymore. I think I've got the 008 for the see
references set correctly. Tried everything I could think of, but it still
isn't working.  Has anyone gotten see references to work? And if so, could
you show me what you did?

--
Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler