[Koha] Step-by-step guide to enable Koha Staff Client on another machine

jurgens jurgens.b at xtra.co.nz
Sun Aug 5 22:00:11 NZST 2012

Hi Vimal,

Thanks for that link - I tried my best to follow the article, but I had no
luck. If you have the time can you see if you can find my problem:

I want to access the staff client from Ubuntu Koha on my Windows 7 laptop,
so I take it I have to connect the two computers via a router (I have a
spare for this purpose). I want to do this through the LAN not the Internet.

WALK THROUGH OF STEPS FROM THE ARTICLE:

1) *sudo gedit /etc/hosts*
Enter the IP Address and Fully Qualified Domain Name

In the Terminal *$hostname --fqdn* gives ansa-desktop  - I take it this is
my Fully Qualified Domain Name.

Can I arbitrarily choose an IP for this? Such as 192.168.1.10 ? Or does it
have to be of a different form?

I have the following in the original *hosts* file:
127.0.0.1     localhost
127.0.1.1     ansa-dekstop

Should I replace all of this text with:
192.168.1.10     ansa-desktop

Or should I just append to the original file?

FYI: when I did it, I replaced the original content with this:
127.0.0.1          localhost
192.168.1.10     ansa-dekstop

2) *sudo gedit /etc/hostname*
Enter the hostname of your system without domain name

I have the following in the original *hostname* file:
ansa-desktop

I did not change anything in this file as I thought it was OK according to
the above instruction.

3) In System --> Preferences -> Network Connections
Choose DHCP or Enter Static IP Number, subnet mask and gateway information

When I did it I had the following:
Static IP: 192.168.1.10
Subnet Maks: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0

4) *sudo gedit /etc/koha/koha-httpd.conf*
Change the IP number in OPAC and Intranet virtual host.

So I changed the following:

## OPAC
<VirtualHost 127.0.1.1:80>

## OPAC
<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10:80>

AND

## Intranet
<VirtualHost 127.0.1.1:8080>

## Intranet
<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10:8080>

5) Restart Apache   */etc/init.d/apache2 restart*

This failed.

I restarted, but then the Staff/OPAC client on the Ubuntu machine did not
work. So I restored all the changes to their originals and its back working
now - but back to my original problem that I can't connect the two.

Please let me know if you can help, it will be much appreciated - Should I
also then create a static IP for the Windows laptop?

Cheers,
Jurgens