[Koha] Ping KUDOS

Ian Walls koha.sekjal at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 04:55:08 NZST 2012

Greg,

Answers in-line (as best I can), then some commentary.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 15:20, G. Laws <glawson at rhcl.org> wrote:

> 1. What does KUDOS stand for (the breakout of the acronym,  if it is)? I
> presume Koha Users and Developers xxx xxx?

Legally (that is, in our founding documents), KUDOS doesn't standard for
anything, it's just "KUDOS".  The original acronym was Koha Users and
Developers of Open Source.

> 2. Is the Google group still active?
>
> https://groups.google.com/group/kudos-koha/

No, not really.

> 3. Is the KUDOS site still intended to be active?
>
> http://kudos.koha-community.org/

No, not really.

KUDOS has had a difficult time getting traction.  It was originally
proposed back in the LibLime days (by Josh, I believe).  After LibLime went
off to do it's own thing, KUDOS was split between folks running Koha, and
folks running one of the forks, and I think this created some friction
towards getting things accomplished.  The additional restriction of KUDOS
being "North American only" made it seem like it was trying to isolate
itself from the global community.

There was a very strong focus on obtaining 501c3 non-profit status, but
less emphasis on what do actually DO as a group. Yes, we had a very
enjoyable conference a couple years ago, but that's really been it.  Most
everything else was meetings about documents and process and governance.  I
feel as though KUDOS has squelched itself by putting the cart of governance
before horse of real community value.

There still seems to be strong interest in the US for getting libraries
together for Koha-related meetings. As a community, we already have
communications channels in place to help facilitate this; it's just a
matter of using them to make a meeting happen.  I don't think we need a
regional governance entity to organize this for us; those who are willing
to help can just help.

Following up on that, I'd be happy to assist in the coordination of a New
England or Northeast regional get-together, should anyone wish to host such
an event (Farmington, I'm looking at you :) )

Cheers,

-Ian