[Koha] Introduction and first questions

Stephan Witoszynskyj stephan at wito.org
Sat Apr 14 01:29:54 NZST 2012

Hello,

I'm from a small bilingual (German-Ukrainian) public library in Vienna/Austria. The library was established just a couple of months ago and it's been my task to find a suitable ILS. Obviously, I went for Koha. :-) The main reason being the support of Unicode and the costs.

I have installed Koha 3.6.3 for testing. And after playing around a bit, some questions came up.

* when cataloguing using Cyrillic alphabet, we would like to automatically generate corresponding 880 fields with transcribed/transliterated data. And thus ensure the correct linkage, reference counts, transcription and so on. Is there a way of doing this?

* I've noticed that when I search authority records that have 880 fields, these fields are not being searched. How can I change this behavior?

* will the unicode label printing problem be solved in the upcoming version of Koha (Bug 2246)?

I hope these questions are not trivial and I haven't overlooked those points in the documentation.

Thanks,
  Stephan

ps: Koha is really impressive! Thanks to everyone who's been working on this project.