[Koha] Server hardware questions

G. Laws glawson at rhcl.org
Sat Sep 10 02:27:20 NZST 2011

On 09/09/2011 04:30 AM, Mirko wrote:
> We will get a new server for our Koha-installation. I was wondering,
> how important some things might be. I don't want to know what is
> essential to run Koha but what would be beneficial if available and
> what does not matter at all.
>
> Our installation now feels really slow and I hope to change that
> before we go live with all features. We will have around 40.000
> biblios in the DB.
>
> I was thinking of a multicore CPU (probably quadcore) so we can run
> Zebra updates, local scripts and other things frequently and not
> interrupt regular use of OPAC and staff client. Does that make sense?
>>>I would definitely recommend multi-core. I personally feel that some
of the AMD processors offer better cost-value with excellent performance
than Intel CPUs, but that's just my opinion. Either are great. AMD has
some very good 6- and 8-core processors that are readily available at
good prices too (speaking for the US anyway). We have two 6-core HP
servers here that we got at very good prices (but of course, I didn't
purchase them with MS licenses).
> Does Koha work well on 64bit Debian? Are the Debian packages
> available for 64bit?
>
> Does it make sense to have more than 2 or 3GB of RAM for Koha
> performance? In that case we would need a 64bit system. I'm under
> the impression that a lot of the "database stuff" happens in RAM, is
> that right?
>>>More is better. Most 32 bit Linux distros will run quite happily on
64-bit CPUs and whatever RAM, but above 4GB RAM and with a 64-bit CPU,
yes, you should consider a 64 bit OS.
> Would the use of an SSD instead of a regular hard disk be favourable
> (if the price does not matter)? Does it affect Koha performance?
>>>IMHO SSD is still too expensive to be cost effective.
> Are there other things worth considering regaring server hardware?
>
>>>Always consider future needs. Even if you can't afford, or think you
possibly need 6 or 8 or 12 GB of memory, consider the advantages of more
memory slots, even if you can't max those out initially.

>>>Just a bit of my personal philosophy here, but I realize that in a
public service organization it is rarely the case that I purchase
equipment like a server, use it for a given number of years, and then
throw it out and buy a new one. Typically when I remove a computer from
service now I have to re-purpose it for some lower task that I have.
That's why I try, as much as possible, to buy equipment that will let me
do something to keep using it four or five years later. Some of those
considerations are just what I've mentioned above--multi-core CPUs and
plenty of memory slots. I would imagine that a server with 2, 6-core
CPUs and maybe 12 GB of memory purchased now would still be a great
virtual machine host in 2016.

>>>With specific regard to hard drives, enterprise class drives are
great. I wish I could afford them for everything.

Link: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=30

Obviously they are also expensive. For many of my important needs where
I can't justify the cost of server-grade hard drives I've found that the
Western Digital Caviar Black drives do very well--I usually put two of
those in a Raid 1 array. That gives good service at an easier cost and
the Raid 1 still gives some good reliability.  The "Black" drives are
the top of WD's Caviar color line, which includes "Green" and "Blue".
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=100

Server examples (US) (w/o drives):

8 core, 4GB:
http://www.govconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=11258779&cac=Result

6 core, very similar to our server:
http://www.govconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=10181888&cac=Result

>>>Disclaimer: I have no vested interest in any of the companies listed
above.