[Koha] New to the list-- questions about BISAC

Randy Smith rsmith.lew at valnet.org
Thu Sep 8 09:21:49 NZST 2011

Our library consortium is in the initial stages of moving from Ex Libris
to Koha with an entirely new LIS administrator.  The administrator we
are considering suggested that I join the list as a place to get answers
and advice from people who are using a Koha generated LIS.    I am a
reference librarian assigned the task of coming up with the right
questions to ask as we go through the process of setting up the profile
of what we want our Koha system to do.  The list moderator suggested I
introduce myself in  my first post.  Thanks for your patience.

Now for my first question.  We have also decided to drop DDC as a
classification system and change to a modification of the BISAC (Book
Industry Study Group) headings. For example, instead of "579.17 Dunn" we
will have "Medical--Microbiology--Dunn".
Does anyone have any experience using BISAC instead of DDC when using
Koha?  What MARC field(s) did you use for classification?  Is there any
reason to include the BISAC alpha-numeric code that accompanies each
term in  the MARC field? (in this example MED 052000).
Thanks.

Randy Smith
Lewiston City Library
208. 743-6519