[Koha] Cataloguing Electronic resources

Kurt Bodling kbodling at mountvernon.org
Fri Sep 2 01:56:08 NZST 2011

Hello,

I've cataloged electronic databases and assigned them a collection code ERESOURCES, and an item type ERESOURCES.

No barcodes, of course, because they can't be "checked out." (And where would I adhere the barcode anyway?)

As far as I can tell there are no problems resulting from having items in Koha with no barcodes.  There are probably some sorting issues somewhere along the line, though.  And a report should be able to pull up all the items without barcodes, so they could be managed that way (no, I don't have the report SQL to pass on).

On a related note, we don't barcode manuscripts in our collection (not yet, anyway) and, more difficult to manage, the "bound with" items we have where someone bound 3 eighteenth century pamphlets together.  Only the first one of those can have the barcode; the two pamphlets bound behind deserve (and get) their own bib record and item records, but I can't assign them the same barcode as the first item (sure, I could give each its own unique barcode, but there is only 1 physical item so I don't).  It looks wrong in the staff module to have a blank space under barcode but the public doesn't see that.

Anyway, my point here is that there doesn't seem to be any problem from having those book items in Koha with no barcodes - none of those rare books OR the electronic databases and websites will be "checked out" so they'll always show up as available.  Which they are.

Kurt

Kurt A. Bodling
Technical Services Librarian
George Washington's Mount Vernon