[Koha] Barcode height

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Fri Oct 7 15:36:46 NZDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Richard Hills - TechnologyWise <
richard at tw.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using koha to print labels with barcodes for books, however am
> wondering if it is possible to increase the height of the barcodes generated
> without increasing the width.
>
> In the last version we were working with these barcodes had a height of
> around 10mm for us, however this has now halved and users are finding it
> difficult to get used to.

Unfortunately the current scaling code scales ultimately based on some
arbitrary hard coded value. Maintaining consistency across all barcode
widths with the current PDF::Reuse API is a bit challenging and would become
more so by allowing the user to choose. For example, if one chose a
particular size W x H, the bar width tends to become very large as the
number of chars in the actual alpha-numeric barcode becomes smaller because
PDF::Reuse attempts to maintain W x H. The current Koha code attempts to
maintain a reasonable W x H for all possible barcodes. And it does not do
even this extremely well. Try generating barcodes for '1' versus
'1234567890' to see the problem.

This is all from my memory as its been a while since I've had a look over
that code.

Kind Regards,
Chris