[Koha] Plea for help from Horowhenua Library Trust re: Koha

BWS Johnson abesottedphoenix at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 10:58:38 NZDT 2011

Salvete!

>The situation we find ourselves in, is that after over a year of battling against it, PTFS/Liblime have managed to have their
application for a Trademark on Koha in New Zealand accepted. We now
have 3 months to object, but to do so involves lawyers and money. We
are a small semi rural Library in New Zealand and have no cash spare
in our operational budget to afford this, but we do feel it is
something we must fight.

    I concur. If one doesn't stand up to the schoolyard bully, they simply keep stealing lunch money. Having poor customer service and a vanishing clientele, PTFS are clearly at the stage where they needs resort to domain camping and now trademark on a generic term long utilised in the public interest. May Justice let whichever Court ultimately hears this do so with extreme skepticism.

>For the library that invented Koha to now have to have a legal battle
to prevent a US company trademarking the word in NZ seems bizarre, but
it is at this point that we find ourselves.

>So, we ask you, the users and developers of Koha, from the birth place of Koha, please if you can help in anyway, let us know.

    Let us know where the paypal page is set up for this. Hardly the sort of chicanery that needs happen during a building project.

Kia kaha,
Brooke