[Koha] "Not for loan" items and "Unavailable"

Niall ODriscoll Niall.ODriscoll at parliament.nsw.gov.au
Thu Nov 17 18:33:48 NZDT 2011

Hi

we'd be interesting to hear how other libraries using Koha deal with the display of items marked "not for loan".

If you give an item the status of "not for loan" in the item record (items.notforloan = 1) the display in the OPAC is "No items available" (in red), the same as if all items are on loan.

However we think this is possibly a bit confronting for our users when what we're trying to say is that the item is *available* - but only within the library.

However if you get rid of the not for loan status and rely on, say, a public note, there is no flag at checkout that the item is not meant for loan.

I know this can also be controlled using item types - our Reference and Rare Books item types display as "Available" on the OPAC, but present a flag if you attempt to loan them out. However there are many items that we would like to make not for loan that don't neatly fit into a particular item type (eg. second copies of some reports, etc.), and which we'd like to keep as part of one of the other item types for reporting purposes.

Any feedback gratefully received.

Niall

Niall O'Driscoll | Assistant Manager, Information Resources (Acting) | NSW Parliamentary Library | niall.odriscoll at parliament.nsw.gov.au | ph. 02 9230 2481