[Koha] Koha and Third-Party commercial services

Mirko 5p4m at gmx.de
Sun Nov 6 07:41:57 NZDT 2011

I think Ian has a valid point here, you are definitely not paranoid.
It is a concern to me too and I like the quarantine approach Chris
has offered.

There are a lot of services integrated already and personally I wish
to keep all the snoopy data gatherers like Amazon, Google etc. out
of my library and away from my patrons. Their omnipresence in the
WWW is scary enough as it is, I don't want to assist them in any way.

I think some kind of guidelines should be set up making sure that
third party services don't get to mess with integral parts of Koha,
that no other developments get 'harmed' by new code for something
that only a certain group of people will use (this would be
prevented by Koha quality control anyway) and that those who do not
want to use a service don't have extra work (like disabling new
third party features in a new version).

C4::ExternalServices approach sounds good to me and I strongly
favour keeping extra database fields in extra tables dedicated to
the service, so Koha core does not get cluttered with extra fields
for Facebook, Google and whatnot.

Thank you for bringing up this discussion!

Mirko