[Koha] Z39.50 Search

Joel Harbottle Joel.Harbottle at hotmail.com.au
Fri May 27 00:10:44 NZST 2011

Hi Victor,

Normally, in the world of Cataloguing, the letter ³a² is what we call an
³initial article². Initial Articles are usually ignored when you are
searching databases, e.g. Library Catalogues.

In my experience, I have found though that Koha will search initial
article¹s instead of ignoring them, but most z39.50 Server¹s stick to the
rules of Initial Articles are ignored.

Some of the many known Initial Articles for example are:
* a
* and
* of
* the

For example, when you are cataloguing using MARC format, you would indicate
that the title starts with an Initial Article utilising your MARC
Indicators, that way your ILS will ignore the initial article when creating
a list of titles in filing order.

Example title: The brief history of Australia : a study guide for students /
by Joe Bloggs ; edited by John Who.

245 14 $aThe brief history of Australia :$ba study guide for students /$cby
Joe Bloggs ; edited by John Who.

    MARC Tag Details:
    245 = Title Statement
    Indicator 1 = 1 (Added Entry)
    Indicator 2 = 4 (Character count of initial article, in the example
title ³The² = 3 characters + space = 4 characters)
    Subfield a: Title
    Subfield b: Subtitle
    Subfield c: Statement of Responsibility

Therefore, with the example, when it is listed in a Shelf List the ILS sees
it as: ³brief history of Australia : a study guide for students² instead of
³The brief history of Australia : a study guide for students², but still
prints the word ³the² in the title on the Shelf List.

I hope that answers your question in some form.

Kindest Regards,
Joel