[Koha] Enabling SSL for Koha staff view

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sat May 14 12:06:43 NZST 2011

Mizst Audens wrote:
> Your server returned a 400 Bad Request for the http on port 443. :-)

Yes, it detected the http and served you html, did you notice? :-)
Only an error message, but as I wrote: serving http seamlessly is
probably a bad idea (easy to lose security by typo).

> But glad to hear that SNI is going to come standard now, at least in some
> distro.
>
> I think that information pertaining to Koha deployment should be considered
> relevant to the list, and in my opinion that includes some nuances of all
> the facilities that Koha requires for its operations and for the needs of
> the library, in this case adding security for the staff interface.

Sorry, but I feel the list needs a limit.  Configuring Apache HTTPD
isn't specific to Koha, there is plenty of help available on more
mainstream sites and the Koha list seems pretty busy with Koha
questions already, without adding the setup of Apache, MySQL and
GNU/Linux to it.  Also, there are other ways to secure the staff
interface without dealing with this, such as a VPN.

> Surely, anyone considering to add SSL to their Koha server is going
> to run into these issues.

Surely not?  I think most users run only one Koha.

Regards,
http://koha-community.org supporter, web and LMS developer, statistician.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha