[Koha] Is KOHA suitable for Digital Library?

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 12:10:21 NZDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 4:04 AM, atiqse <atiqse at hotmail.com> wrote:
> At the moment we don't have any library system for our library so On the one
> hand we want to implement a complete integrated library system (ILS) to
> manage the library for example Full catalog, circulation and acquisitions
> system for library stock management, Print own barcodes, Serials management,
> Web based OPAC system and other library mangement related modules.
>
> Whereas on the other hand we also want to digitize all the books into pdf
> and tiff format to make a digital repository so that these books can be
> searched, viewed and read online (using the same Webbased OPAC module).
>
> In the light of above scenario what could be the best potential solution? I
> really appreciate your feedback and your expert opinion.

I think you definitely have to deploy Koha as your ILS.
For the digital content, I like DSpace flexibility and standards
compliance. You can think of it as a storage back-end for what you've
got catalogued in Koha. If you plan to provide one file for each
record, then it can be easily achieved using standard 856$u MARC21
field pointing to the file's URL. If you want to point to a page where
the user can download several related files, then point to the DSpace
record directly.

As I said before, there are other use cases than can be more complex.

To+