[Koha] Is KOHA suitable for Digital Library?

Lee Phillips lphillips at buttepubliclibrary.info
Fri Mar 11 12:22:00 NZDT 2011

On 3/10/2011 12:56 PM, chrisc at catalyst.net.nz wrote:
>> Certainly some people will tell you that Koha will work, but DSpace is
>> much much better IMHO.
>>
>> http://www.dspace.org/
>>
> Koha is not designed to work as a digitial repository. You could bend it
> to make it do that, but you'd be much better off using a digital
> repository like dspace, fedora or my personal favourite kete
> (http://kete.net.nz). Kete plays very nicely with Koha, and is another
> project started by Horowhenua Library Trust and Katipo Communications.
>
> Chris

Well I am no expert but we use Koha to host our "digital branch". We
have alot of holding that are historic and fragile so we created digital
iteration and set them up as a virtual branch. The url link to a jpeg
copy of our tiffs that live on a RAD server. We also load them into a
Flickr <http://www.flickr.com/photos/buttepubliclibrary/> account which
has increased discoverability  and drives traffic back to our library
where more images and info are available. We really like this because it
gives users and searchers more info and access for their time. Here is a
link to our digital branch
<http://catalogue.buttepubliclibrary.info/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl?idx=kw&op=and&idx=kw&op=and&idx=kw&limit=branch%3ADigital&sort_by=relevance&do=Search>
and ourweb page <http://www.buttepubliclibrary.info/>. We also upload
jpeg of our images to the Montana Memory Project
<http://cdm103401.cdmhost.com/cdm4/browse.php> which is catalogued in
Dublin Core. These records are loaded into World Cat which also
increases discoverability.
I don't know if this is what you have in mind but it works well for us,
mainly because we control our TIFFs and originals, which is very
important to us. My February post on my blog
<http://leephillips2.wordpress.com/> also talks about how we are going
to use Koha to catalog a local museum's images.

So hope that helps. I think Koha works great for our digital projects.
Lee Phillips
Library Director
  Butte, MT