[Koha] Is KOHA suitable for Digital Library?

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 10:05:34 NZDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 4:13 AM, atiqse <atiqse at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am new to KOHA ILS Solution, Can any body guide me that whether or not to
> use the KOHA ILS in place of digital library requirements?
>
> To what extend can KOHA cater to manage digital contents (PDF and TIFF and
> etc)?

Koha can handle links to digital content via a URL at a record (title)
level. This can be done using (MARC21, UNIMARC I don't know) field
856$u and others. The default XSLT creates a properly presented link.

This will work for a PDF file representing a digital version of what
is catalogued. It will be just a link.
If you have the requirement that a digital content is the compound of
several images, which should be attached with structural metadata so
they can be "rebuilt" for convenient navigation, then koha will not
provide you with that.

Note that for master copies archival there are more suitable software,
for instance ICA-AtoM or CDB, Archon, etc. In that case, metadata is
added at object-level using archival-description standards.

<over-simplification warning>
On DSpace or other "pre-print sharing and archival" software you can
have compound objects, but no means of adding structural metadata
(as-is).
</over-simplification warning>

Well, after writing this lines, I realize that you need to adjust your
requierments, at least dig a bit deeper on what you mean by "digital
library".

To+