[Koha] Idea: Basing Cart off Items instead of Biblios

hansbkk at gmail.com hansbkk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 04:01:20 NZDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Ian Walls
<ian.walls at bywatersolutions.com> wrote:
> Item type does not necessary need to mean material type; You could have 3
> different "Book" types if for some reason these materials circulated
> differently (like one was a regular material, the other reference, and the
> third an archival copy).  In this case, you'd want a single biblio, because
> they're all essentially the same material, just different copies that have
> different circulation rules attached.

Yes, since the itemtype field determines circulation rules, charges
etc. that is a good use for them. I considered using Collection Code
simply for my "media format" facet, but decided it would make more
sense to tie that to itemtypes. In my case, I'm combining the material
type and an arbitrary "charge level" facet for those categories
subject to non-default circ policies.

I'm using Ccodes as an Advanced Search limiter, so I'm "stacking the
facets" a bit to hopefully make sense from the patron's POV - here are
some sample Ccodes (if no audience mentioned, means OK for both adults
or kids, if no video resolution mentioned, means "not hi-res")

Juvenile Videos
Adult Videos
Videos - high-resolution
Juvenile Games - PC-disc
Games - PS3
Juvenile Books

Sorry to go so OT, but as a final aside, I'm using "Shelving Location"
for cross-linked sets - "Harry Potter", "Disney", "James Bond", "David
Lynch", "1940's films", "Criterion Collection" and making sure my call
numbers sequence these for sensible "shelf browsing" in the OPAC.