[Koha] Koha software based self-check

Joann Ransom jransom at library.org.nz
Thu Mar 10 09:14:29 NZDT 2011

USB keyboards and mice are hot swappable. When we need to leave PCs in
public area we log them in, then take away the mouse and keyboard, plugging
them back in at the end of the day when its time to log off the PC.

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:00 AM, <chrisc at catalyst.net.nz> wrote:

> > Hi!
> >
> > 2011/3/9 Lori Bowen Ayre <lori.ayre at galecia.com>:
> >> Is anyone out there using the Koha OPAC as a self-checkout station?  I
> >> ask
> >> because I know this can be done with Evergreen (King County Library
> >> System
> >> is doing it) and it makes a self-check station cost $300 instead of
> >> $2000.
> >> All they did was tweak the OPAC a bit and put a scanner (or RFID reader)
> >> on
> >> a low end PC and bingo...self check.
> >> Has anyone tried that?
> >
> > Have you seen Koha's "very basic self checkout module"?
> > http://koha-community.org/documentation/3-2-manual/?ch=x7980
> >
> > You can see a demo of it here:
> > http://head.bibkat.no/cgi-bin/koha/sco/sco-main.pl
> > Login as username demo, password demo.
> >
> > Since all the checkout requires is the card number of a user, it seems
> > awfully easy to tamper with the accounts of other users than your own
> > with this system...
> >
> Thats why you don't have a keyboard attached. Just a barcode scanner, then
> it's exactly the same as any other selfcheck machine.
>
> The danger is in letting people type cardnumbers in, (if you opened a self
> check machine and connected a keyboard, same thing ;)) So I would put the
> pc in a locked cabinet so people can not tamper with it (like plugging in
> a keyboard)
>
> Chris

Joann Ransom RLIANZA
Head of Libraries,
Horowhenua Library Trust.

*Q: Why is this email three sentences or less?
A: http://three.sentenc.es*