[Koha] cron jobs under Debian koha-common & koha-create

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Mar 3 09:14:28 NZDT 2011

* hansbkk at gmail.com (hansbkk at gmail.com) wrote:
> I'm still figuring out how to setup and configure my Koha - using
> multiple instances via koha-common and koha-create - excellent work
> BTW, works a treat for testing!
>
> After setting Authorities, I checked the system preferences'
> "dontmerge" and I saw the note about "ask your administrator to enable
> the merge_authorities.pl cronjob" (I wish I had an administrator 8-)
>
> I haven't messed with cron for a while, so I'll be brushing up, but I
> see the /etc/cron.d/koha-common takes care of the Zebra indexing - I
> just can't figure out how it handles the multiple instances (isn't it
> supposed to be running as the kohauser in each case?

It is, and it does.

> If I want to add other cronjobs, should I just add to that file, or
> should I set up a "normal" crontab for root?

There are other cron files look in /etc/cron.hourly/koha-common and
/etc/cron.daily/koha-common .

> Should I copy over lines from koha's crontab.example (less the
> duplicated zebra one of course)?

Check that they arent in any of the existing ones, then make a new file
if not. Id suggest /etc/cron.d/local-koha or similair. Otherwise when
you upgrade the packages you will have to resolve your edited version
with the one in the package. If this is a job that should be run by
default, then sending a patch to add it to the cron jobs in the packages
would be most welcome.

Chris