[Koha] How to install by uploading through FTP

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Mar 2 00:02:42 NZDT 2011

shinokada wrote:
> My school server is Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 And I don't have sudo right in a
> shell. But I can upload files through FTP. Is there any way I can install it
> through this way?

If you have another similar-enough Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 server handy,
you can install Koha there with the right settings and then FTP all
parts to the school server, but it will be tedious and probably
difficult to debug some problems with it.  If you don't have
permission to install packages, you'll need to build them from cpan to
install in your target user's /home account and change the PERL5LIB
lines to include that directory too.  Without some way to add
VirtualHosts to the webserver configuration, it may be impossible.

I did an FTP install once with 2.0 or 2.2 but even then I could
reconfigure the webserver enough to make it work.  I don't think it
was ever as good as a configurable server, though.

So I'd get another server or rent a good hosted Koha because it would
probably make things so much quicker and easier that it is worth it.

Hope that helps,
http://koha-community.org supporter, web and LMS developer, statistician.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha