[Koha] Official Koha Newsletter : Volume 2, Issue 6: June 2011

Nicole Engard nengard at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 08:46:16 NZST 2011

Below is the text of the newsletter, for active links please visit the
Koha site: http://koha-community.org/koha-newsletter-volume-2issue-6-june-2011/

Official Koha Newsletter (ISSN 2153-8328)
Volume 2, Issue 6: June 2011

Table of Contents

    Koha Developments
        Koha 3.2.10 Available
        Koha 3.4.2 Coming Soon
    Koha Community
        Koha website: Announcing the Comments Policy
        What Colour Am I?
        Wiki Open For Contributors Again
    Koha Events
        Global Sign Off Day 15.06.2011
        Symposium Koha – Lyon (France) 2011
        Koha General Meeting: 6 July 2011

Koha Developments

Koha 3.2.10 Available
by Chris Nighswonger

Note: This is potentially the final release of the 3.2.x branch.
Please act accordingly with new implementations and upgrades.

The package can be retrieved from:

http://download.koha-community.org/koha-3.02.10.tar.gz

You can use the following checksum and signature files to verify the download:

http://download.koha-community.org/koha-3.02.10.tar.gz.MD5

http://download.koha-community.org/koha-3.02.10.tar.gz.MD5.asc

http://download.koha-community.org/koha-3.02.10.tar.gz.sig

Come and get it! Read More.

Koha 3.4.2 Coming Soon
by Chris Nighswonger

The monthly 3.4.x release is a few days behind schedule. As of 0000
UTC 20 June 2011, 3.4.x is in a string freeze. 27 June 2011 will be
the date of the 3.4.2 release. At this point the only patches that
touch strings which will be accepted are blocker and security fixes.
Non-string patches will still be applied up to the date of the
release.

Koha Community

Koha website: Announcing the Comments Policy
by MJ Ray

The Koha website now has a comments policy. The policy is described at
http://koha-community.org/about/comments-policy/ It basically
summarises the recent practice and adds a suggestion that people
should appeal to a general meeting if there is a dispute.

What Colour Am I?
by Brooke Johnson

Chris Cormack world renowned SLS strikes again. This time, he brought
us a very cool bug visualisation.

http://bugs.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/bug_status.pl

We know we’re well behind on signoffs if we’re in the red. As I wrote
this, thanks to Global Sign Off Day, I’m looking at a glorious yellow
46.

It was wonderful to watch how motivational this was. Developers threw
down just to get the colour to change and the number to decrease.

Wouldn’t this be neat as a widget?

Wiki Open For Contributors Again
by MJ Ray

The Koha wiki is one of the simplest places for users to collaborate
on documentation about Koha, how to use it, how it’s been used and a
lot of other topics.

The wiki can send out email again now, which means that new
contributors can register and actually validate their email address,
which means they can edit pages.

If you registered during the recent problems, please visit
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Special:Preferences to log in and
request a new validation email.

If you would like to register, please visit
http://wiki.koha-community.org/w/index.php?title=Special:OpenIDLogin
with your social media account from WordPress, Livejournal, Yahoo,
Google or any other OpenID-enabled site, or
http://wiki.koha-community.org/w/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin&type=signup
to register with an email address.

Please help us improve the documentation by registering with the wiki
and editing some pages.

Koha Events

Global Sign Off Day 15.06.2011
by Brooke Johnson

How great are our developers? Wonderful, of course! Magnus Enger,
Katrin Fischer, and Chris Cormack proved once again that cool things
happen on IRC!

07:36 magnuse maybe we should declare a global signing off day before summer?
(drawn from http://stats.workbuffer.org/irclog/koha/2011-06-07)

and just days later, it happened. 22 lovely bug contestants were sent
on through to the next stage, including a critical and a major. Alas,
7 failed QA, but they’ll be back for our second chance round after a
retool.

For a blow by blow description, visit the wiki:
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Global_sign_off_day,_2011-06-15

We couldn’t have done this without everyone’s help. Thank you all.
This is a great example of just how quickly things can progress when
folks get together and roll up their sleeves.

Nau te rourou, naku te rourou, ka ora ai te tangata.

Symposium Koha – Lyon (France) 2011
by Pascale Nalon, president of KohaLa association

University libraries of Lyon 2, Lyon 3 and Saint-Etienne (together
representing approximately 80,000 students and 900,000 items) have
switched from their proprietary software to Koha in 2010-2011. In this
context of re-computerization, the third Koha symposium was organized
by University Lyon 2 for May 26 and 27.

During the two days, 130 participants from public or private libraries
joined conferences about open source and open data, the history of
Koha, the experience of Inter-Universities, cooperation for
implementation of Koha in libraries, work reorganization and other
workshops (Birt and JasperReports, SQL, XSLT, install party).

These conferences and workshops hosted by french companies providing
services around Koha and other softwares (Progilone, Tamil and
Biblibre) and some librarians of different institutions. Students of
“CoLibre”, bachelor of communication and open source software,
participated to the organisation.

The new thing about this symposium, was the presence of open source
exhibitors (free music, associations promoting Open Source and
enterprises).

Articles, videos and podcasts are available online.

Koha General Meeting: 6 July 2011
by MJ Ray

There will be a general meeting in the #koha IRC channel (IRC server
irc.oftc.net) on 6 July 2011 at 10:00 UTC+0. As well as discussing the
future development of the Koha software, it will also consider when to
end free support for the 3.2 version (it will remain available, but no
new releases will be made) and discuss the Koha Conferences.

You can read the agenda and register your intentions or apologies at
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/General_IRC_Meeting,_6_July_2011.

Newsletter edited by Nicole C. Engard, Koha Documentation Manager.