[Koha] 653 uncontrolled terms

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Wed Jun 22 22:15:11 NZST 2011

We are looking at importing a batch of records from what will be in
Koha a branch library which uses their own set of terms, generated
arbitrarily by the fellow doing the cataloguing. These do not match
any standard thesaurus, or even our in house thesaurus, but are useful
to the users of their very specialized collection.
I was looking again at 653 Index Term-Uncontrolled (MARC 21), which we
had originally planned to use for our own non-standard terms, but
abandoned because we could never get the field to function properly.

I want to load the branch's terms into subject fields without any
authority (uncontrolled).  Where they will be fully searchable.

I went into the MARC framework and switched off the authority control
for the 653 $a.  But in creating or editing a record, it still insists
on linking to an authority.
I don't want to create system-wide authority records for these terms
as they are inconsistently applied, and extremely local in nature.

I'm flummoxed.

Plan B is to put them into a notes field, which is not really ideal. . .

--
Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler