[Koha] [Koha-devel] Summary of Global Signoff Day 2011-06-15 - more to come?

Magnus Enger magnus at enger.priv.no
Wed Jun 22 20:46:53 NZST 2011

On 19 June 2011 16:16, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> Magnus Enger wrote:
>> * GSOD #1
> [...]
>> You can see a more or less complete list of what bugs were changed here:
>> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Global_sign_off_day,_2011-06-15
>
> Thanks for the summary, Magnus!

You're welcome!

> I was unaware of that page, so did not edit it when reviewing or
> signing off.  Editing a wiki page seems a bit odd: doesn't bugzilla
> track status and who's working on a bug already?  Commenting on the
> bug or hopping on IRC seems a good idea if you absolutely want to
> avoid the risk of "two signoffs, one bug" (I apologise for that image
> ;-) ).

Yeah, that might work just as well, with less effort.

>> As far as I can tell we were about 6 people signing off on things
>
> JOOI, how can you tell that?

As Chris said, by monitoring the bugs list. Not fail-safe at all!

>> * GSOD #2
>>
>> BibLibre have said all their staff will dedicate half a day every two
>> weeks to signing off on bugs and similar tasks (woohoo!). I would like
>> to propose another GSOD to coincide with their first such day, which
>> is scheduled for 2011-07-08. Motto: "The more, the merrier"!
>
> I send my regrets.  I think that's the second Friday of Co-operatives
> Fortnight here and I will be occupied with co-op community events.

Maybe the time after, then?

>> Some questions spring to mind:
>>
>> - How can we get more people involved?
>
>> - Should the name of the "event" reflect that other activities (such
>> as closing bugs) are encouraged too?
>
> Yes, if they are.  Bug Squashing Party is used in debian.
> http://wiki.debian.org/BSP

Bug Squashing does sound like fun!

>> - How can we make it even more fun?
>> -- Better/other lists and visualisations?
>> -- Could we have the huginn bot on IRC annonunce new signoffs, the
>> same way it does "needs signoff"s?
>> -- Could we use some kind of VoIP/videoconferencing tools to make the
>> social interactions seem more um... "real"?
>
> I'm unsure about conferencing because it seems like it would need its
> own effort to set up (I'd go for a simple SIP party-line, but I'm sure
> there are others using incompatible systems which I wouldn't want to
> use either) and keep running.  It may also suffer from the
> synchronisation problem worse than IRC currently does.

Yup, I'm not convinced it's a good idea.

> Yes to lists and bots - maybe we could reuse some of the tools from
> another bugzilla-using project's bug-squash party?  I'm not sure
> where to look for that though.

Sounds like a good idea! Does anyone have any tips on what works in
other communities?

Best regards,
Magnus Enger