[Koha] Adding child to staff patron record

Liz Rea lrea at nekls.org
Wed Jul 6 06:09:46 NZST 2011

Holly,
We had this same problem. We got around it by leaving "staff" accounts for true "staff" accounts -- library staff were given accounts with Adult category, with patron category of "Library Associate." By doing it this way we were able to have the best of both worlds: library staff could have guaranteed children, and also have special rules based on their special patron category. As it turns out, the "staff" designation in Koha really doesn't mean a whole lot -- except that you can't attach children to it.

We may be unique in how we handle staff accounts: we have 36 libraries, and we give one "low permission" staff account (CITY_CIRCULATION), one "medium permission" account (CITY_CATALOGER), and one "high permission" account (CITY_ADMINISTRATOR) to each library. None of these accounts have superlibrarian permissions -- we save those for ourselves. ;) At no time does a staff member's personal account get used as the account they would use to circulate books in the system. We have found that this makes it a lot easier to keep track of comings and goings of staff. If a library loses a staff member, we change the password for the account that staff member was using, rather than track down their personal account.

I hope this helps you,

Liz Rea
lrea at nekls.org