[Koha] marc

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Jan 21 04:28:54 NZDT 2011

* Priyadarsan kp (priyadarsankp at gmail.com) wrote:
>    I have installed koha in a gnu/Linux system. I want to upload csv data
>    file to koha database. I need a software to make marc file whch is working
>    in a gnu/linux system. It is inconvenient for me to use marcedit using
>    wine, since it uses proprietary softwares like Microsoft's .NET 2.0
>    Framework. I don't understand why a free software community like KOHA uses
>    marcedit in linux. Can anybody suggest a software to in place of marcedit.

Hi Priyadarsan

Like you, we also try to use free software. To that end we have a script
written by Robin that can take a csv file and convert it to MARC21.
It is Free Software licensed under the GPLv2 or later.

It is in the csvmigration branch of the catalyst public git repository
http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gw?p=koha.git;a=blob_plain;f=import/csv/csvtomarc.pl;hb=dc9b7f9565b0d2bf2f429179782e27c0784b6593

Robin, the author, writes
"While with great power comes great resp..er..complexity, it's hopefully
got enough documentation to be useful. Run it with '--man' to see how it
works, and have a look at the example.sh that will be with it which
shows how I've used it to do conversions."

Here is the example.sh file
http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gw?p=koha.git;a=blob_plain;f=import/csv/example.sh;hb=dc9b7f9565b0d2bf2f429179782e27c0784b6593

Like all software, it can be improved, for example the leader handling
code could be improved. But it does create MARC files that Koha can
import and deal with quite happily.

I hope it is of some use to you.

Chris
--