[Koha] Flood recovery in Brisbane - pulling data from Koha

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Wed Jan 19 20:28:35 NZDT 2011

* Amanda and Hugh Gardner (hagardner at bigpond.com) wrote:
>    Hi All,
>
>    I'm hoping I can get some advice with regard to pulling data from Koha.
>
>    My library has recently been completely inundated during the Brisbane
>    floods and nothing was saved except the library catalogue on Koha!  I am
>    the current librarian, however, I have only been in the position for four
>    weeks and have not had a chance to learn the ins and outs of Koha.  I am
>    also not a techie so am relying on IT staff to assist with my queries
>    which has not proved successful as they are off recovering other parts of
>    the organisation's network.
>
>    In order to create an inventory of the library collection for insurance
>    purposes I would like to export data from the following fields and dump
>    them into an Excel create an spreadsheet.
>
>    The data I need are from the following fields:
>
>    Item type
>    Title
>    Publisher
>    Date
>    ISBN
>    ISSN
>    Item count
>    Location
>    Barcode

Hi Amanda

As we confirmed off list that you are running 2.2.7 you wont be able to
do this from within Koha. But if you can login to the server that Koha
is running on.
Then look at the /etc/koha.conf file. In there will be the name of the
database, and a user and a password.

run
mysql -u username_from_file -p databasename_from_file
it will then prompt you for the password, enter in the one from the file

you should end up at a prompt that looks like

mysql>

Cut and paste this sql in
SELECT itemtype,title,publishercode,publicationyear,isbn,issn,barcode
FROM biblio,biblioitems,items WHERE
biblio.biblionumber=biblioitems.biblionumber AND
biblioitems.biblioitemnumber = items.biblioitemnumber ORDER BY
biblio.biblionumber INTO OUTFILE '/tmp/itemlist.csv';

When that finishes running
type
quit;

Then in /tmp/ on that machine there should be a file itemlist.csv which
you should be able to open with excel or access. It is a tab separated
text file which should be opened fine by either of them (chose tab as
separator if it asks you when importing.

Hopefully this will work for you.

Chris

--
Chris Cormack