[Koha] normalization rule - defining a matching rule

Peter Huerter pete.huerter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 10:57:09 NZDT 2011

Can someone please point me to more info about normalization rules in the
context of defining a matching rule in Koha?

Scenario:
Our set of books currently in Koha was imported from Marc that we created
using MarcEdit (mapping from an Excel spreadsheet). As a result our Marc
information is likely "not as good" as that of LOC for any given book.  So
now we are trying to "overlay", or "overwrite" as many of the biblio records
in our Koha database with (hopefully) "better" MARC records from LOC (or
wherever).

Problem:
When I do a bulk z39.50 lookup on ISBN numbers (using MarcEdit), the ISBN
numbers I receive from LOC often contain trailing text (like "paperback", or
":").  When I stage these records and try to match the staged records on
ISBN in Koha this trailing text prevents many matches.

I am assuming that it is the job of some sort of normalization routine to
force a match, however I am not able to find any documentation or examples
describing how one would define his/her own normalization routine.

Can someone please provide an example?

Thanks,
Pete.