[Koha] remove catalog records...how?

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Wed Jan 5 03:16:48 NZDT 2011

Do not depend on Koha's Biblio numbers to remain stable. If the data
is exported and re-imported the Biblio numbers will change.  As anyone
will tell you who has done a few test imports.  They are not really
accession numbers, just a serial number of sorts.  If you want control
over your bibliographic record numbers, put it into the 001 field.

While it could be dangerous to be able to delete records too easily,
there are times when it is necessary, especially during training. You
can also set records to not display in the OPAC (supress in OPAC).
This is not the same as deleting it, but it means your patrons don't
accidentally find it.

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Magnus Enger <magnus at enger.priv.no> wrote:
> On 3 January 2011 01:04, havergara <havergara at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> how do i remove catalog record in KOHA...my instructor says catalog records
>> should not be removed because the accession number is continuous...thus
>> every library catalogs should be documented or tagged as condemned or
>> whatever it is called...
>
> I guess that might be a question of local policy - because it makes it
> easier to keep track of what the library has owned in the past.
>
> However, Koha makes it possible to delete records. When you look at
> the details of a record, e.g.:
> http://example.com:8080/cgi-bin/koha/catalogue/detail.pl?biblionumber=1
> you can click on Edit > Delete Record.
>
> If the record has items associated with it yuo need to do Edit >
> Delete all items before you can do Edit > Delete Record.
>
> Regards,
> Magnus Enger
> libriotech.no

Elaine Bradtke