[Koha] How to catalogue related items?

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Wed Jan 5 00:59:07 NZDT 2011

We sometimes have things that were published together, but are now
shelved in different parts of the building and have different
circulation rules. So we have to catalogue them as individual items.
We put in notes saying - originally published with: XXX shelved at:
YYY.

I'm a little wary of attaching them as items to the same biblio if
they are different formats containing different material that didn't
come as a 'set'.  One way to bring them all together in the catalogue
is to create a parent biblio that describes them as a collection and
how they interrelate, and child records for the different formats with
the item records attached. A lot depends on how your patrons will
search for and use the materials.
Even if you catalogue each item as a separate biblio without a parent
record, if they all have the same root title (for example - Basic
English : workbook; Basic English : study guide; Basic English :
listening examples, etc.) they would all come up together in a title
search for 'Basic English'

Does that help?
Elaine
On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Mirko <5p4m at gmx.de> wrote:
> I don't know what happened, but somehow my first email did not reach
> the list, only the follow-up.
>
> I sent this before:
>
> Mirko schrieb am Di 21 Dez 2010 16:05:51 CET:
>> I have a "sorry-i'm-not-a-librarian"-question:
>>
>> How do I catalogue several items that belong together? For example:
>> I have a series for language learning: one workbook, one grammar and
>> two audio cds. They are not a single kit containing all items but
>> have seperate call numbers and can be used/checked out independently
>> of each other. Nonetheless they are related and this information
>> needs to be available to the patron.
>>
>> I thought I would set up a biblio containing the general information
>> (title, author etc.) and have items for workbook, grammar, cds with
>> their respective call number/barcode.
>>
>> Somehow this seems to be the wrong way to do it:
>
> [cut out wrong statement]
>
>> - I used "Materials specified (bound volume or other part)" to put
>> "CD 1", "CD 2", "Workbook"… but that information only shows up in
>> the staff client. When searching the OPAC I don't get this info,
>> neither can I do anything with the items of the biblio (like, place
>> a hold), I can only look up "Item type", "Call number" and "Status".
>> There is also a field "Location", but it is empty (it is filled in
>> the staff client).
>>
>> What is the correct way to catalogue several different items that
>> somehow belong together? If I have to make a seperate biblio for
>> each item, how do I connect them? Patrons should be able to see that
>> (for example) there are also audio cds when they see the record for
>> the books (etc.).
>>
>> I hope it is clear what I'm trying to do, any help is appreciated.

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 ext 36