[Koha] MARC for RDA

Weinheimer Jim j.weinheimer at aur.edu
Tue Feb 22 22:28:47 NZDT 2011

For an overview of the changes from AACR2 to RDA, see the SLC's Cheat Sheet at: http://www.slc.bc.ca/cheats/aacr22rda.htm If RDA is adopted, the ISBD 245$h will be discontinued, and they are replacing them with the 336-338 fields. Of course, this is controversial, and many want to continue following ISBD rules, which after all, are long-established and international in scope.

Looking at the 336-338 fields in the Cheat Sheet shows that they are not very "human-friendly" since they use strange terminology, e.g. "mediated" "unmediated", and many believe (including me) that while generating the ISBD format 245$h is OK, more important is generating different icons, since this will be more meaningful to people. And just as simple to do!

James Weinheimer  j.weinheimer at aur.edu
Director of Library and Information Services
The American University of Rome
via Pietro Roselli, 4
00153 Rome, Italy
voice- 011 39 06 58330919 ext. 258