[Koha] Checkout and other tasks takes a while

Thommy M. Malmström thommy.m.malmstrom at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 04:17:03 NZDT 2011

2011/2/18 Tomas Cohen Arazi <tomascohen at gmail.com>:
> 2011/2/18 Thommy M. Malmström <thommy.m.malmstrom at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Well, as it is just a test there is only 6 items in it so I think it
>> should fit in 2 GB.
>
> If you don't tune your mysql it won't take advantage of your total
> RAM. For instance, I'm pretty sure you're running a desktop
> environment, a browser and an apache server on the same machine.

Correct.

> You
> should see with 'top' (shift+m) how much RAM mysql is using and by the
> way your swap usage. Then if you use 'du' to see in /var/lib/mysql how
> much disk space do your databases use (you might have other databases
> too) and compare to the RAM the server is consuming.

$ sudo du -h /var/lib/mysql
972K	/var/lib/mysql/mysql
156K	/var/lib/mysql/phpmyadmin
1.6M	/var/lib/mysql/koha3db
39M	/var/lib/mysql

As shown by attached screenshot there's plenty of RAM available.

I can agree that I'm low on RAM generally here, but I don't think it
should have such dramatic effects. +30 seconds is hardly usable.

I'll try to upgrade my SO-DIMMS to 2*2 GB...

>> If I access the DB through phpMyAdmin and change say a character in a
>> title in the biblio table, it takes less than 1 second. So the MySQL
>> is fast from what I can tell. It actually says "Query took 0.0001
>> sec". So, looks to me as if it the perl scripts, but how to tell and
>> what to do?
>
> You should cheeck the logs (koha-error.log). Are you using Linux,
> right? Try disabling things like apparmor.

No koha-error.log file found anywhere... Disabling apparmor speed it
up by 5-10 seconds.