[Koha] 3.2.3 Debian packaging

hansbkk at gmail.com hansbkk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 18:32:31 NZDT 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 4:38 AM, Robin Sheat <robin at catalyst.net.nz> wrote:
> hansbkk at gmail.com schreef op di 15-02-2011 om 15:37 [+0700]:
>>
>>  a2dissite 000-default
>>
>> is definitely necessary if you're using the usual http port, otherwise you still get the default Apache "It works" page.
>
> I don't think that it is necessary to do this, as it's all virtual
> hosting anyway. One of our Koha servers has a 000-default site on it
> still.

My setup (virgin Debian6 install from LiveCD + aptitude install
koha-common, no fiddling other than the conf file I posted and ran the
koha-create script)

Without the -admin suffix my browser definitely brought up the "It's
working" page from Apache. Running the " a2dissite 000-default"
command - and not doing anything else then resulted in the koha
maintenance notice showing up.

If anyone truly doubts this isn't the way it goes I'd be willing to
run through it again in a VM. . .

I did qualify that (I assume) if you're using a different OPAC-port
this wouldn't be an issue, but I imagine most people want that at the
default. In my case I didn't want to mess with ports at all, as I
prefer just using a different hostname for the OPAC, I would think
most noobs would prefer the same.

It is possible this all happened before I did the DNS/host file
configuration, and was using localhost, but IMO it should work that
way for someone doing a virgin setup, as far as they're concerned it's
the only website on their installation.

-----------

Another couple of points, admittedly minor - it isn't 100% clear that
the .conf file needs to be created and then the koha-create script
run, getting it's variable values from that file. I did figure it out
of course but the "get the values needed from the create script"
comment did throw me for a little while, as that's not commented
either and there are a bunch of other variables at the top that
*don't* get set by the conf.

Also, populating the default SQL script probably shouldn't be there
for a first-run example, or at least some information on what it's for
and the fact that it should be empty for a fresh virgin install would
be useful.

All just IMO of course, whoever developed this functionality is to be
commended and I'm very grateful. Just suggesting a couple of minor
tweaks to make the process a little more noob-friendly. . .